
MACON, GA (AP Wire) - Dylan Webb got downright defensive last Tuesday night about his recent lack of production at quarterback for his team.
The 7-year-old recorded two solid touchdown-saving open field tackles and a brilliant interception in the Falcons' 27-20 victory over the Warriors. The team remains atop the Stratford Academy Youth Football League standings at 3-0-2.
The win was particularly satisfying considering the Falcons couldn't get untracked in the previous game, a 6-6 tie against the Packers. The Falcons' defense stopped the Packers three times on downs but couldn't get anything going on offense. The defense's spirited play, however, continued against the Warriors.
The unit held on fourth down twice to takeover on downs and added two interceptions - both coming in the second half with the score tied - by Webb and Sam Clark.
Webb's was particularly dramatic. In the first half, Webb was providing blanket coverage along the sideline against the Warriors' receiver, prompting the quarterback to look in a different direction. At halftime, Webb conferred with a member of the Falcons defensive coaching staff about a strategy that might produce a turnover.
"My dad told me I was covering good but the quarterback wouldn't throw it my way because I was covering too good," Webb said. "So he told me to stay back a little and let him think he was open and keep watching him."
The result? Webb executed the plan to perfection, the Warriors' quarterback took the bait and the Springdale Elementary second-grader stepped in front of a pass and raced down the sideline before being driven out of bounds at the Warriors' 10-yard-line.
"That's how I roll," Webb said succinctly.
Clark cashed in on the turnover when he scored two plays later, giving the Falcons a 13-6 lead.
But the Warriors made it interesting. They converted on a Hail Mary 4th-and-15 play with just under two minutes to play and miraculously converted the extra point to knot the score at 20.
Webb, however, caught a pass from Tripp Vaughn on the ensuing drive to move the chains during the Falcons frenetic hurry-up offense. And four plays later Austin Evans weaved his way through the Warriors' defense to score the decisive touchdown, his second of the night, with 19 seconds remaining.
With five games left in the regular season, the Falcons come off a bye and continue their push toward the playoffs tonight at 6:30 in a rematch against the Warriors.
3 comments:
"That's how I roll.."
Oh, My...Tessa...you have your hands full!!
Youth Football...got to love it....the article gave me chill bumps....the plan to snatch an interception...wow..father/son make a great team....move over Nascar...it's time for Football!!
These posts crack me up. John and I love it!!! I so wish we could come and watch him play. So fun!!
Dylan...Pops and I have got to get to Macon to see you play football!!
You and your daddy do make a good team....in all sports :)
Brandon, I am so glad that you are able to be involved with Dylan as much as you are...it will mean a whole lot to him when he's all grown up and he thinks back on all these times. You do have such a wonderful little family. I love you, mom/Kiki
Post a Comment